Category: Lightening Kit
The very best way to apply a lightener to hair is as follows:
- Do a strand test to make sure your hair can take a lightener and also a patch test if you plan on applying the GDY Lightening Kit to your scalp.
- Section and clip your hair into 4 sections by parting your hair down the middle and then side to side from top of crown to bottom of ear.
- Start with the bottom sections first and apply GDY Lightening Kit away from the root area. The bottom of your hair is usually darker and more stubborn, that’s why you want to start there. TIP: Did you know that the heat from the scalp will make the Lightener swell, and it will process much more quickly at the root due to the heat from the scalp? Hold off on applying the root area AFTER you are done processing the rest of your hair if you want to avoid hot roots.
- Methodically apply the GDY Lightener mixture in small sections, remembering to leave the roots out. If you take too thick of sections, you may miss spots, and end up with a splotchy base. Saturate the strand of hair by working the GDY Lightening Kit evenly into each section with a gloved hand TIP: If the ends of your hair are lighter naturally, leave them out for now until after you have applied the Lightening Kit to all the sections. Then go back and apply the Lightener to the ends. This will help prevent the ends of your hair from over processing ( aka: turning to mush).
- Once you apply your lightener to the mids and ends of your hair, go back through each section and apply the lightener to your roots.
- A good idea is to wrap each strand into tinfoil to help the Lightener lift faster and keep it from drying out. When Lightener dries out, it quits working. TIP: If you do not have tinfoil, after you finish each quadrant, wrap it in plastic wrap. After you have completed the application, wrap your entire hair with plastic wrap.
- Let your hair process for no more than 50 minutes, until you achieve the desired tone. Check consistently (every 5-10 minutes) to evaluate the color lift. (Darker hair may need to be lightened more than once to reach your perfect base.)
- After you have achieved the desired result, rinse the Lightener out thoroughly and shampoo. TIP: If you plan on using a semi-permanent dye afterwards, do not condition! Conditioner coats the hair cuticle and prevents the color from taking as well as it could.
- Now you can apply your favorite GDY hair color!