Lightening Kit (15)
We do not recommend using our lightening kit on relaxed hair as the hair has already undergone a chemical process. We recommend seeking a professional’s help if you are considering lightening your relaxed hair.
Yes, you can use our lightening kit on naturally textured hair. Just be aware that textured hair will lift and lighten differently than non- textured hair so always keep on eye on your hair while it’s processing. Please note, we do not recommend using our lightening kit on chemically textured hair, such as perms.
We always recommend seeking a professional when making a dramatic hair transformation such as going platinum in order to maintain the integrity of your hair.
To ensure you get the most vibrant and colorful results from GDY, we recommend that you pre-lighten your hair using our Lightening Kit.
We at GDY have made this easy for you! We’ve measured both the Creme Developer and the Powder Lightener already and you simply mix one bottle of the Creme Developer with one packet of Powder Lightener, making sure to mix to a nice even cream consistency. Make sure you get professional advice when lightening or removing color.
This depends on whether you are simply doing a small section of your hair or the entire head. An entire head could require about three Lightening Kits. Just remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry and have extra on hand just in case. You will be mixing one bottle and one packet at a time as to not be wasteful. That way if you don’t need the others you can save them for next time!
It’s always recommended you seek the help and advice of a professional hair stylist when for the first time you are coloring, and especially when you are lightening your hair. Good Dye Young is always here to help guide your stylist on the use of GDY products if s/he is not familiar with our line.
You can leave it on up to 30 minutes and then rinse out, shampoo and dry. Then lighten again for no more than 30 minutes 2-4 days later if you’d like it to be lighter, watching it closely as not to over process the hair. Since that would be your second time lightening, you may not even need the full 30 minutes.
The very best way to apply a lightener to hair is as follows:
- Do a strand test to make sure your hair can take a lightener and also a patch test if you plan on applying the GDY Lightening Kit to your scalp.
- Section and clip your hair into 4 sections by parting your hair down the middle and then side to side from top of crown to bottom of ear.
- Start with the bottom sections first and apply GDY Lightening Kit away from the root area. The bottom of your hair is usually darker and more stubborn, that’s why you want to start there. TIP: Did you know that the heat from the scalp will make the Lightener swell, and it will process much more quickly at the root due to the heat from the scalp? Hold off on applying the root area AFTER you are done processing the rest of your hair if you want to avoid hot roots.
- Methodically apply the GDY Lightener mixture in small sections, remembering to leave the roots out. If you take too thick of sections, you may miss spots, and end up with a splotchy base. Saturate the strand of hair by working the GDY Lightening Kit evenly into each section with a gloved hand TIP: If the ends of your hair are lighter naturally, leave them out for now until after you have applied the Lightening Kit to all the sections. Then go back and apply the Lightener to the ends. This will help prevent the ends of your hair from over processing ( aka: turning to mush).
- Once you apply your lightener to the mids and ends of your hair, go back through each section and apply the lightener to your roots.
- A good idea is to wrap each strand into tinfoil to help the Lightener lift faster and keep it from drying out. When Lightener dries out, it quits working. TIP: If you do not have tinfoil, after you finish each quadrant, wrap it in plastic wrap. After you have completed the application, wrap your entire hair with plastic wrap.
- Let your hair process for no more than 50 minutes, until you achieve the desired tone. Check consistently (every 5-10 minutes) to evaluate the color lift. (Darker hair may need to be lightened more than once to reach your perfect base.)
- After you have achieved the desired result, rinse the Lightener out thoroughly and shampoo. TIP: If you plan on using a semi-permanent dye afterwards, do not condition! Conditioner coats the hair cuticle and prevents the color from taking as well as it could.
- Now you can apply your favorite GDY hair color!
What if after using the GDY Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer, my hair still has a lot of gold and orange in it and is not a pale blonde? What do I do?
You may need to do another round of lightening. First take a strand test to ensure that your hair is able to take another round of lightening. If so, apply GDY Powder Lightener as directed, or go to our step-by-step guide.
What if I dyed my hair with permanent black color, and want to lighten it with GDY Powder Lightener?
It’s dangerous to use GDY Powder Lightener on hair that has been treated with permanent black color. Lightening permanently colored black hair can be highly damaging to your hair and can cause severe breakage.
Do not attempt without consulting a professional hair stylist who can remove the black color for you.
If dyed black, try a Good Dye Young red or pink shade that will create great highlights, complement your hair color and add condition and shine to your hair without damaging it.
If you have color on your hair now, and you have LESS than ½ of regrowth showing, put the GDY Lightener from root to end following the directions above for sectioning and application.
If you have color on your hair now and you have MORE than ½ of regrowth, apply the Lightener to your regrowth last, after you have applied the Lightener to the rest of your hair. Virgin hair (hair without dye), lightens faster than color treated hair.
The Good Dye Young Lightening Kit allows you to lighten your hair to a level 9 or 10 light blonde so when you apply the GDY colors, they will show up as vibrant as possible.
We use 25 Volume Creme Developer so that your hair is left in good condition while offering just the right amount of lift to achieve lighter results.
Purchase two kits if this is your first time lightening your hair, or if you have thick or long hair, so that you have plenty of product with which to work. Remember, you will have to do your entire hair the first time so you want to make sure you have enough product.
After you lighten your entire hair, the next application of GDY Powder Lightener in 4-6 weeks may only have to be applied to your root area. If this is the case, you will only need one GDY Powder Lightener and 25 Volume Creme Developer.
- Always do a strand test to determine if your hair is strong enough for a lightener.
- Use the GDY Powder Lightener with 25 Volume Creme Developer for virgin hair that has not previously been color treated.
- GDY Powder Lightener with 25 Volume is great to lift natural hair that falls between a light brown and dark blonde to a level 9 or 10 light blonde.
- If you have naturally black to medium brown hair, and do not have color, a relaxer or permanent wave, and your hair is in good condition, you may need to repeat the application of the GDY Lightening Kit to achieve the desired results.
- Go to a professional for assistance if you have never lightened your hair before yourself and even if you have, it’s a lot more fun to have a friend or a professional help out so you don’t miss any spots.